High Street (east), No. 121
A timber-framed building of c.1500 lies behind this tall frontage. A thick moulded beam of the period can be seen in the side passage, and a 16th-century stone mullion window from the passage to the south (under No. 123). The façade is early 18th-century, with raised timber panels suggesting pilasters, and four large sash-window frames standing proud of the surface. The shop windows and stone walling at ground level are late 18th-century. No occupiers are known before the 19th and 20th centuries, when it was successively a grocer's (1850s–70s), tailor's (1880s–1920s), and butcher's (1930s). By 1939 it was a handicrafts shop, after the Second World War the Gay Adventure, and in 2007 a tea shop called the Copper Kettle.
See: N Pevsner, Buildings of England: Oxfordshire (1974). 514