High Street (east), No. 125 (Chevrons)
No. 125 includes another late-medieval building, encased in stone in the 18th century or earlier. The paintwork of the wall above and to the side of the shop shows that the doorway (marked 125) is the entrance to the flat above: another of Burford's many 'flying freeholds'. In the 19th century it was a tailor's, and a saddler, harness maker, and grocer's, and in the later 20th century it became a petrol station and garage. The unusual curve on the shopfront and the bracket and post to the right date from that period. It closed in 1997 when part of the shop window was reglazed, and in 2007 it was a shop called The Hideaway.
'Chevrons' next door belonged to No. 125 and contains features of many periods, including painted chevrons (which gave it its name) on some of the floor joists. The High Street wall was rebuilt after a collapse in the late 20th century. A low doorway and late 18th-century sash window on Swan Lane were possibly for a shop. Nineteenth-century occupants included plasterers, coopers, a linen draper, and (in 1891) a postman.