High Street (east): No. 61
The building retains a Tudor-arched fireplace and probably the roof from an earlier structure: the roof’s 'waney' ridge suggests pre-17th-century timbers. From the mid 17th century to the early 20th the premises were frequently let to bakers: in 1652 the clothier Thomas Silvester was leasing it to Thomas Jorden, baker, and others were recorded in the 1680s, 1770s, and 1840s–1900s, with an ironmonger in the 1860s. The façade is early 19th-century, built of coursed and dressed limestone of sub-ashlar quality, and with sliding or 'Yorkshire' sash windows to the first floor. The shopfront was there by 1902 but has since been remodelled, as has the dormer.
By 1841 there was a separate house at the rear, occupied successively by a basket-maker, baker (1850s), and bootmaker (1860s-70s, with 2 governesses as boarders).
See: RH Gretton, The Burford Records (1920) 451, 459; RM; A Jewell, Burford in Old Photographs (1985) 35
(Photo by Heather Horner, Oxfordshire Buildings Record)