High Street (east): No. 7 (Riverside)
Although there is a 17th-century rear range, this stylish house was probably built in the 1790s (owner unknown). By the 1840s the surgeon Thomas Cheatle lived here with his family and servants, and around 1869 demolished the neighbouring house and built a Gothic extension on the east. The family, all prominent Burford doctors and surgeons, remained here into the 1940s, C.T. Cheatle adding a further extension in the 1930s. The surgery entrance was via the archway to the right.
The small 2-bay house demolished c.1869 stood behind the current gatepiers, and dated from the early 17th century (see photograph). Possibly it formed part of the Silvesters’ property (see No. 1), and in the 1850s–60s was probably occupied with a timber yard by the carpenter William East.
See: M Laithwaite,'Buildings of Burford', in A Everitt (ed), Perspectives in English Urban History (1973) 114; RH Gretton, Burford Records (1920) 519