High Street (east): No. 81
In 1552 this may have been the half burgage-plot belonging to Thomas Chadwell of Little Barrington (Glos.). From the 1730s to 1840s it was owned with No. 75 (above), and the two plat-bands and Georgian window surrounds (one of which has been converted to a shop window) suggest that it was rebuilt around the same time as the Jordans' mansion house at No. 75. Jonathan Banbury, variously described as hairdresser, surveyor, relieving officer, and insurance-, house- and estate agent, bought it in 1848 and extended it the following year, using materials removed from No. 75 and its outbuildings at its conversion into a Methodist chapel. Re-used timbers can be seen in a rear room. Banbury still lived here in 1903, but by 1908 a grocer owned it, and from 1955 to c.1970 it housed an antiques business. It subsequently became a delicatessen and Indian restaurant. The shop window is early 20th-century.
See: RH Gretton, The Burford Records (1920) 404, 449, 458, 634
(Photo by Mark Casson, Oxfordshire Buildings Record)