High Street (east): No. 93
In origin this is probably a small 17th-century cottage (cf. Nos. 23 and 65), remodelled with a built-out ashlar façade and internal doors of c.1730. Beams of probably 17th-century date survive in a rear room. From the late 17th to mid 19th century it was a bakery (cf. No. 61): bakers were recorded as tenants in 1685, 1727, and (intermittently) from 1800 to 1861, and in 1793 it was described as a 'messuage, bakehouse and stable'. Other tradesmen included a miller (owner in 1738), corn dealer (owner 1815), cordwainer (occupant 1841), and ironmonger (owner in 1842). The bow-front shop window, like the 10-over-10 sash window above it, are early 19th-century additions, presumably for one of these businesses. From the 1880s to 1920 the house and shop were occupied by a shoemaker, and in the late 20th century it was briefly a china shop. From the 1980s it was the Stone Gallery, selling jewellery and fine art.
RH Gretton, The Burford Records (1920) 449, 457
(Photo by Mark Casson, Oxfordshire Buildings Record)