High Street (east): No. 95
A building here was probably occupied by a tailor in 1861, but was apparently demolished soon after: in 1901 the plot was vacant, with a wall in front. The existing coursed-rubble building (Barclays Bank) was erected in the 1970s. In an attempt to blend in the architect has adopted a simplified form of the Georgian window-surround on the first floor, and the roof has stone slates laid in traditional diminishing courses. The signage, however, is undisguisedly modern.
See: A Jewell, Burford in Old Photographs (1985) 14