High Street (east), Nos 101 and 103 (former Angel Inn)
This prime corner-site was an inn from the 15th to late 18th century, recorded first as the Bear (in 1489), and from 1539 as the Angel. Fifteenth- and early 16th-century owners were members of the prominent Pinnock family, followed by various owners or licensees. After 1773 it was absorbed into the neighbouring Bull Inn, with which it probably remained connected until the 1850s.
There is very little evidence of the medieval building, although a ground-level cellar window is early, suggesting that the inn may have had a cellar from the outset. There is also a small blocked window near the ground facing Witney Street. The rendered 18th-century front conceals twin gables.
From the 1860s the building was occupied by an upholsterer, a stationer, and (from the 1890s) by George Hambidge's grocery business, which continued here until c.1960. In 2007 the building housed two shops, Walker's Antiques (No. 101), and a clothing and gift shop (No. 103). The shopfronts, incorporating a bow window on the right, are late 19th-century; so too are the sash windows, datable by their 'horns'. The cellar has a central passage between concrete platforms, typical of a modern beer cellar, and steps lead to where there was once a lift to street level.
See: RH Gretton, The Burford Records (1920), 319, 321, 373, 429, 451, 459, 631; Oxford Journal, 27 Feb. 1768; R Moody, Inns of Burford (2007 edn), 10