High Street (east): Nos 15 and 17
These houses began as a medieval hall-house (history unknown). No. 15 (left) comprised the service end, and No. 17 the cross-passage, hall, and upper end. The fragment of a south cross-wing remains at the rear. Seventeenth-century modernization included inserting a kitchen fireplace (in No. 15), inserting a chimney stack into the passage to create a lobby entry, and raising the roof. Like many Burford buildings this was cottage accommodation by the early 19th century, and was progressively subdivided. No. 15 was separated probably in the early 19th century, and No. 17 became two cottages c.1870, one of them entered from a doorway (now blocked) in Lawrence Lane. Nineteenth-century occupants included a horse-breaker, coopers, bakers, and gardeners, and (at No. 17) the stonemason John Perrin (1840s–80s).