High Street (east): Nos 27-29
These two small adjoining cottages, though of different date, were both altered in the 19th century, and their low ground-floor ceilings remain visible below the tops of the front windows. No. 27's 19th-century ashlar front hides an 18th-century cottage, owned in 1723 by an edge-tool maker, in 1756 by a lifeguardsman, and from 1759 by a joiner. Later occupants included a straw bonnet maker (1840s), grocers (1860s–80s), and a butcher (1890s). It ceased to be a shop c.1900, when the existing sash windows probably replaced a shop window. The wide opening below lights a cellar.
No. 29 (right) may be late 16th-century, and in the 1830s–40s it was owned by Chipping Norton tradesmen. Occupants included a sawyer, a grocer and tea dealer (1850s), a plumber and glazier, and a groom (1870s–90s). The roof was raised in the mid 19th century, as shown by the smoother stone of the uppermost courses, while a blocked doorway to the left suggests that it was once divided into two. Though now a shop it retains its cottage frontage.