High Street (east): Nos 41-45
See left of photograph
Like the neighbouring property this house belonged to the Elstons (by 1598) and later to the Lenthalls, who let it. Heavy beams with joists laid flat suggest 16th-century origins, and wide first-floor windows were reduced in size in the late 18th or early 19th century, replaced by the present square ones with small panes. Nineteenth-century occupants probably included a cordwainer (1840s), a plasterer (1850s), a baker (1870s–80s), and a plumber, glazier and painter (1890s). Before c.1960 the building became part of Forest's clothing business, and remained a shop in 2007. The projecting shopfronts are 20th-century.
See: RH Gretton, The Burford Records (1920) 340, 347, 436, 448, 457
(photo by Heather Horner, Oxfordshire Buildings Record)