High Street, no. 21
21 High Street, Ledbury, was formerly known as the Biddulph Gallery and now houses a delicatessen, a kitchen shop, a cafe and a clothing store on the first floor. It was an ironmongers shop from at least the early nineteenth century until the second half of the twentieth century. In the mid-nineteenth century Walter Pitt, ironmonger, hop and seed merchant kept the shop. By 1871 it was listed as Charles Stephens' ironmongers and bedding. In 1941 it was known as 'Hills' and later as 'Hobbs', an ironmonger and vendor of farm equipment.
There is an arched entrance between number 21 and number 22 with a date on the keystone of 1803.
This doorway gives into an alley leading to a collection of brick buildings now known as 'The Pine Cupboard'.
Census information for 21 High St:
Date Name No of family No of staff Business/Occupation 1841 Walter Pitt n/d n/d Ironmonger 1851 Walter Pitt 4 5 Ironmonger 1861
2 2 Ironmonger 1871 Charles W Stephens 3 4 Ironmonger 1881 Charles Stephens 6 4 Ironmonger 1891 Charles Stephens 7 3 Ironmonger 1901 Charles W Stephens 4 2 Ironmonger
RCHM Herefordshire vol II East 1932 pgs 109 & 110
RCHME 76982 1988
Content generated during research for two paperback books 'Ledbury: A Market Town and its Tudor Heritage' (ISBN 13 : 978-1-86077-598-7) and 'Ledbury: People and Parish before the Reformation' (ISBN 13 : 978-1-86077-614-4) for the England's Past for Everyone series