High Street (west): No. 134
This small building is probably Burford's best-documented property, because of its acquisition (with earlier deeds) by Brasenose College, Oxford, in the early 16th century. An earlier house occupied this half-burgage plot by 1250, when it belonged to Cold Norton Priory, and in the 1360s and 1420s the Cutlers held it with Nos. 128–132. Later lessees included Simon Wisdom (1552), the clothiers William Wisdom (1567) and John Templer (1600), and John Jordan, gent (1732), who probably all sublet it.
The existing building is 16th-century; part of its timber frame is visible above the side passageway (inserted later), which in the 19th century led to outbuildings at the rear. The timber frame was rendered in the 18th century. In 1768 there was a periwig maker here, and in the 19th century the Holland family of gunsmiths and ironmongers, who had a forge at the rear. The projecting first-floor windows are late 19th-century and the shopfront early 20th. By 2006 the various outbuildings (wash-house and kitchen, coal-house and chaff house, and stable, warehouse and forge) were three separate premises.
See: M Laithwaite, 'The Buildings of Burford', in A Everitt, (ed), Perspectives in English Urban History (1973) 87–8; RH Gretton, The Burford Records (1920) 669–70, 673; Listed Buildings Description