High Street (west): No. 142, with former rope factory
Until unified as a single shop in the 20th century, these properties were quite distinct. The right-hand house, behind its smart late 18th-century ashlar façade and late 19th-century shopfront, is 17th-century, though a predecessor was occupied by the Cutlers (with premises to the north) in the 1360s and 1420s. From the late 17th to mid 18th century it was the Three Goats' Heads inn, run by the Daniel family with a hemp-dressing and sack-weaving business. Its neighbour is of similar date, refronted in a more vernacular 18th-century style, and with 19th-century sash windows and 20th-century shopfront. At the back in the 19th century was another of Burford's cramped cottage yards, called Holland's Yard after ironmongers living in the left-hand house in the 1820s–70s. Three households lived there in the 1860s–70s, including a pauper, labourers, groom, and laundress. (For another yard called Holland's Yard see No. 134).
James Wall of Eynsham acquired the right-hand house in 1811 and set up a rope-making business. In 1903 a successor built a new brick rope-factory at the rear, possibly replacing the cottage row. The wide side doorway led to the rope-walk, where strands of hemp were laid out for twisting into rope. The factory, visible from Sheep Street, closed after the Second World War and was used as a printing works, becoming a private house in the late 20th century. The left-hand house was a cycle-makers in the 1890s–1910s, before the two parts were combined as a Co-op stores after the Second World War.
See: Listed Buildings Description; RH Gretton, The Burford Records (1920) 455, 669–70; R Moody, Inns of Burford (2007 edn) 69