High Street (west): No. 64
Though a shared Cotswold-slate roof now links this range with Nos. 54–56, the varied stone façades confirm their separate histories. No. 64 began as two separate cottages dating probably from the 16th or 17th centuries, and throughout the 19th century was occupied by boot- and shoemakers. From c.1915 to the mid 20th century it was Foster's motor garage (owned in 1939 by R.G. Paine), and its early building history is largely concealed behind the 20th-century frontage: the central porch, reminiscent of a miniature threshing barn, was inserted for the garage in the 1920s. Beneath the eaves are applied timber struts, another feature of the Edwardian 'vernacular' fashion seen in many of Burford's buildings. A roof dormer was removed some time after the 1930s. In 2007 the building was occupied by the Oxford Shirt Company.