High Street (west): Nos 128-132
Occupying the whole of a wide medieval burgage plot, this long frontage dates from after 1863, when the building was Newman's drapers. Though the Tuscan columns at ground-floor level are well-crafted, tapering towards the top, the handling of other classical elements is idiosyncratic. The shopfront of Nos. 130–132 (iron columns within) and the doorway of No. 128 (with mosaic floor) are contemporary with the rest of the front, and vertical metal shutters survive in their housings above the door and windows. The arched shopfront of No. 128 is early 20th-century, replacing two domestic windows.
Robert Cutler owned an earlier house here in 1367, and in the 1580s the clothier John Floyde the elder lived here. Later owners or occupiers included John Hughes (1671), Robert Castle (1753), and (reputedly) the doctor Thomas Cheatle (c.1819), succeeded by drapers (the Tanners and Newmans) from the 1820s. Fragments of a 16th-century house remain inside and at the rear, while a rear wing to the north has 17th-century mullion windows with drip-moulds. In 1665 the house probably had 5 hearths.
See: RH Gretton, The Burford Records (1920) 368, 669–70, 673; Oxfordshire Hearth Tax 1665 (Oxon. Record Soc.), 215; A Jewell, Burford in Old Photographs (1985) 9, 97