High Street (west): Nos 144 and 150
William Cox, an upholsterer and cabinet maker, rebuilt and enlarged No. 144 in the early 19th century, creating a plain ashlar front with tall sash windows to the first-floor piano nobile. The iron tie-ends and shallow-pitched roof suggest, however, that the façade hides an earlier building, which from the 1740s to c.1801 was occupied by a saddler, Solomon Jeffs. Occupiers from the 1850s to 1910s included shoemakers, bakers, and a harness-maker, though the shopfront (Burford Woodcraft in 2007) is early 20th century.
No. 150 next door, similarly three-storeyed, was also refronted in the early 19th century, this time in rubble stone, and the roof pitch was altered to create larger attic rooms. The carriageway and former stable to the rear are of similar date, the ground-floor canted bay window added some decades later. The core is probably 17th-century, the date of a large beam and alcove (formerly a fireplace) in the carriageway. From the 1840s this, too, was occupied by shopkeepers (bakers, confectioners, tailors), and in 1901 by a blacksmith. The Brian Sinfield Gallery opened here in 1972.
In the 19th century some dwellings seem to have lain behind No. 144, associated possibly with neighbouring Holland's yard (see No. 142). Inhabitants in the 1840s–90s included craftsmen, tradesmen, and a farm bailiff.