High Street (west): Nos 46 (Cotswold Arms) and 48
These two buildings probably began as a single late-medieval range: No. 48 (left) extends over the doorway of the present Cotswold Arms, which has a deeply moulded Tudor-arched surround with carved spandrels. Both parts were substantially remodelled from the 17th century: the Cotswold Arms has stone mullion windows facing Priory Lane and a blocked one on the façade, while No. 48 was entirely refronted in ashlar. Its three first-floor mullion windows with drip-moulds are not symmetrical, suggesting an earlier layout behind. The two-storey canted bay window (extreme left) is of unusual design: the upper window has a drip-mould over, while the lower is set into a recess to allow light in, possibly for the tailors (the Deanes) who lived here from before 1851 to c.1911.
In 1800 No. 46 was the Lower Mermaid Inn, and was called the Mermaid until the 1870s; it was renamed the Cotswold Arms before 1881. Its ground-floor bay window and the upper-floor sashes are all 19th-century. In the 1960s No. 48 was a haberdashery shop, and in 2007 it sold travel goods and country clothing. The shop window and stone door-hood are early 20th-century.
See: Listed Buildings Description