High Street (west): Nos 66-68
This imposing, early 18th-century ashlar front in Taynton stone hides remains of a 15th- or 16th-century building behind. The only surviving feature is an arch-braced roof truss, but an external clue is the asymmetric frontage: the off-centre doorway indicates the position of a former through-passage, while the deep cornice and parapet hide an earlier roof. Small windows in the north and south returns allowed the occupants to see up and down the street. The fashionable 18th-century doorway and sash windows are typical of Burford in this period.
Probably this was the town house of a professional person, but no owners are known before the 1850s when it was a chemist's, occupied first by Richard Yerbury and later (1860s–90s) by Robert D. Foster. By 1887 Foster was also postmaster, and his family still ran a post office here in 1940. Some of the original ground-floor windows have been replaced by a projecting late 19th-century shopfront with its own door; apparently the chemist made a shop in the left-hand part, while retaining the rest as his own house