Higher Prescott deserted farm
Higher Prescott, Exford
This site was surveyed by volunteers. It lies in a small valley, north-east of Exford church.
Prescott, the priest's cot, was an early settlement. The estate had been divided into two farms Higher and Lower by the early 18th century. Each had a small quarry near its farmstead to provide building materials. Small gardens and yards were made beside the buildings, which lie in rough land at the bottom of the combe.
The two farms originally covered c 200a. but by 1839 Lower Prescott had only 64 a. and Higher Prescott 33 a. Higher Prescott then had a barton only and no house but a small house must have been built shortly thereafter. In 1851 Lower Prescott was a 70-a. farm and Higher Prescott was a dairy. By 1871 they had both lost their land and were agricultural labourers' cottages. Lower Prescott cottage had 4 habitable rooms and Higher only 3. The 97 a. of land was farmed separately.
By 1910 Higher Prescott was cottage attached to Stone farm. It was still in fair condition with a slate roof and comprised a kitchen, pantry, larder and two bedrooms. It had a dilapidated stone and thatch wood house, a shed for colts with loft above, and a stone and tiled pigsty. Later in the 20th century both cottages at Prescott were abandoned.
There is more information on deserted farmsteads on this site.