Highercombe lies in the far north of Dulverton parish near the boundary with Winsford. Most of the land is over 1,000 ft. above sea level but the farmstead lies a little lower on the north side of a valley. In the later 19th century Highercombe was a large farm, over 450 acres, and had two four-sided courtyards of farm buildings. Only the small and one side of the larger yards survives today, converted to residential use. The pond is now a garden. A new farmstead was built in the 20th century three quarters of a mile north.
Highercombe was recorded in the later 13th century and was divided into three holdings in 1667. However in 1752 the farm was bought by Thomas Dyke Acland for £2,400 and was thereafter let as a single farm of about 390 acres. A superior farmhouse was built and in the early 19th century the Aclands retained rooms there, presumably with stabling for hunting. 
Highercombe formed part of the Acland estate sometimes called Withycombe Winsford manor. The Aclands were improving landlords building new farms and cottages. By 1861 there were two labourers cottages at Highercombe. In 1863 Sir Thomas Dyke Acland stoned the road from Highercombe across South Hill into Winsford.
Under John Harding the farm was increased to 460 a. and it remained at this size in the 20th century.
 DevonRO, 1148M add 7/30.  Ibid. 1/52.  Memoir and Letters of Sir Thomas Dyke Acland, ed A.H.D. Acland, 33-4, 56, 82, 136, 175.  SRO, D/R/dul 32/1/1.