The Hill (east): No. 155 (former Chequers Inn)
By 1753 this building was the Chequers inn, still open in 1782. The façade dates from that period, though a Tudor-arched fireplace inside points to earlier origins. By the 1820s, when sold to a Bampton maltster, it had been divided into cottages, and throughout the 19th century seems to have accommodated three separate households including agricultural labourers, dressmakers, cordwainers, carpenters, and (in the 1890s) a chimney sweep. In 2007 it was a single house called Chippings.
See: Listed Building Description; Oxfordshire Record Office, QSD V/2