The Hill (east): Nos 143-145
Both these buildings probably began as 17th-century stone cottages. No. 143 was substantially rebuilt in the first half of the 19th century: timber lintels for earlier doors and windows can be seen in the stonework, and the stylish doorway is slightly off-centre, suggesting an earlier plan. No details are known before the 1840s when it was occupied by a sawyer and his family, followed (amongst others) by a gardener, plumber, and shoemakers. The much smaller No. 145 comprised a single ground- and first-floor room, the doorway leading to a passage to the rear. It does, however, have a cellar, and in the 18th century a rear wing was added, followed by a separate cottage in the 19th century on a diminutive back plot. Throughout the 19th century this tiny property seems to have been in multiple occupancy: 6 people and 3 small households were listed in 1841, and in 1891 two agricultural labourers with their families, and a widow with her son. The sash windows are early 19th-century.