The Hill (west): No. 194
From 1587 to 1628 the site belonged to William Hewes alias Calcott, and in 1607 seems to have had only a barn. Possibly a house was built in the 17th century, but sporadic references to owners from the mid 17th century to early 18th give no details. The present house's symmetrical façade has 18th-century features such as the open-pedimented door hood and the first-floor windows with keystones. From probably the 1820s it was occupied by the solicitor John J. Ansell and other family members, and from the 1880s by the brewer Arthur Garne – probably it was Garne who remodelled it in the late 1880s, adding the canted bay windows. The iron railings are mid 19th-century.
See: Listed Building Description; RH Gretton, The Burford Records (1920) 323, 328, 330–2, 346, 450, 562–3