Holy Trinity Church
Holy Trinity, attributed to the architect William Etty, was built in 1719 to serve the newly created parish of Sunderland. It is now a grade one listed building, looked after by the Churches Conservation Trust and Sunderland Old Township Heritage Society.
At the time of building, the surrounding area was also undergoing rapid development. Within the church were rooms for civic functions - a court room, meeting place for the vestry, and later a library. Streets of new houses soon surrounded the church to the north and west - though to the south and east, the town moor remained an open space. In Church Street East still stand a few of the grand houses from this time, and along Church Walk a later 18th-c. school and later almshouses.
See: Sunderland Listed Buildings
Content generated during research for two paperback books 'Sunderland and its Origins: Monks to Mariners' (ISBN 13 : 9781860774799) and 'Sunderland: Building a City' (ISBN 13 : 978-1-86077-547-5 ) for the England's Past for Everyone series