Homend, no. 1 & 3
This 'D' shaped site contains a number of separate buildings. In earlier times what are now Bye Street and Church Street formed the principal crossroad with the main north-south route. The site is a clear example of market encroachment that probably took place as the junction of New Street- with the Worcester Road junction at Upper Cross, at the other end of High Street, grew in importance. It is also clear that this encroachment was fully in place by the end of the 15th century, marking the diminished importance of the east-west Bye Street-Church Street route by that time. The buildings on this site have undergone many internal and external modifications. The front is shown in a number of photographs and drawings of late 19th century date, which show a close-studded timber-framed building of two storeys, with an attic storey and a single dormer. There is a central window at first floor level with the characteristic Ledbury feature of small windows on each side. The attic storey has a shallow jetty and there are carved consoles at each end of the bressummer. The mix of buildings encompass timber framing and later brick and attics. It is possible that the earliest building dates from before 1600, a finding that may be supported by a detail from the RCHM notes of 1930 in which the bar stop-end on the chamfered beams is illustrated a feature that may be a generation earlier than 1600. The present appearance of the buildings on the site owes much to 19th century and early 20th century refacing.
NGR: SO 7105 3782
Royal Commission on Historic Monuments, Herefordshire II, East, 32
Content generated during research for two paperback books 'Ledbury: A Market Town and its Tudor Heritage' (ISBN 13 : 978-1-86077-598-7) and 'Ledbury: People and Parish before the Reformation' (ISBN 13 : 978-1-86077-614-4) for the England's Past for Everyone series