Homend, no. 2 (demolished)
No. 2 Homend has been demolished and the site is now occupied by the Barrett Browning Memorial Institute, built 1892-6. Judging from surviving photographs and paintings, the original building was a substantial timber-framed structure of two storeys and attics with three bays. The ground floor had two shop fronts with jetties, which were almost certainly designed for storage of goods, loading and unloading by hoist from wagons drawn up beneath the south end of the building. At the rear it was a tan house for many centuries, belonging to the Hankins family over many generations.
Content generated during research for two paperback books 'Ledbury: A Market Town and its Tudor Heritage' (ISBN 13 : 978-1-86077-598-7) and 'Ledbury: People and Parish before the Reformation' (ISBN 13 : 978-1-86077-614-4) for the England's Past for Everyone series