Homend, no. 37
Abbey House was built in around 1600. It is a timber-framed, two-storey building set on a high rubble-tone plinth and laid out on a north-south alignment parallel with the street. It occupies a wide plot that may once have been larger. The south end of the range has been rebuilt in brick, with a two storey bay and to the rear of the north end of the range there is a later wing. On the front is a narrow, two-storey projecting bay set on a high brick plinth. The first floor has a shallow jetty along the west front with an ovolo moulded bressummer beneath which are consoles carved from the posts in Ledbury style. Although the house has been the subject of much rebuilding, it can be safely dated to around 1600.
Content generated during research for two paperback books 'Ledbury: A Market Town and its Tudor Heritage' (ISBN 13 : 978-1-86077-598-7) and 'Ledbury: People and Parish before the Reformation' (ISBN 13 : 978-1-86077-614-4) for the England's Past for Everyone series