Kingweston House and its grounds dominate the small parish of Kingweston as they have done since the late 18th century when the Dickinsons built their grand country house, closed roads, and laid out parks, By 1891 the large households at Kingweston House and the rectory accounted for more than a quarter of Kingweston's population of 121.
By October 1783 William Dickinson had plans for a new house drawn by Henry Holland the younger. The house was built between 1785 and 1788 by Samuel Heal of Bridgwater.
After 1824 the house was remodelled and partly rebuilt in a more severe neoclassical style, probably to designs by William Wilkins who moved the entrance to the east end of the south range and added a Greek Doric portico.
The house was requisitioned during the Second World War as a searchlight headquarters. William Dickinson (d. 1964) let the house from 1946 to Millfield School, Street. It was given to the school in 1991 and is a boarding house.