Land ownership in Buckminster and Sewstern
The parish of Buckminster, which includes the two villages of Buckminster and Sewstern, is in north-east Leicestershire, and adjoins the county of Lincolnshire.
The two manors of Buckminster and Sewstern were purchased in 1763 by Lord William Manners, a younger son of the second Duke of Rutland. His eldest son and heir John Manners married Lady Louisa Talmash, the eldest daughter of the 4th Earl of Dysart (in the Scottish peerage), who became Countess of Dysart in her own right following the deaths of her brothers Lionel (5th earl, died 1799) and Wilbraham (6th earl, died 1840). Land purchases by this family, especially in the late 18th and early 19th centuries, created a large estate, centred on Buckminster Park, the hall built by William Saxton for Sir William Manners in c. 1794.