Launcells Parish Church
The existance of Launcells church was first recorded in 1086 in the Domesday Book valuation, carried out by William's officers.
By 1291, Launcells church and manor was owned by Hartland Abbey.
The parish church was initially dedicated to St Andrew on 16th October 1321, but was later rededicated to St Swithin. It is is an ancient building of stone in the Perpendicular style divided into a chancel, nave, and north and south aisle. The tower is of four stages, and is 64 feet in hight to the battlements. The belfry contains six bells. The church of St. Swithin has a very old door with an immense lock leading to a delightfully unrestored interior with some fine examples of carved bench-ends, barrel roofs and some interesting 15th Century floor tiles from the Barnstaple potteries. 40 yards south of the church is the small but impressive well of St. Swithin.
View photographs and documents associated with Launcells Parish Church from the selection below.