Launceston Church of St Mary Magdalene
St Mary Magdalene, Launceston, a splendid town church of the early 16th century. Originally only a chapel, but later it became the favoured church of the townspeople and was magnificently rebuilt in carved and decorated granite. Only wealthy churches like St Mary Magdalene, and Truro, could afford suitable granite and expert craftsmanship to enable their buildings to be ornately carved.
In the early 16th century, St Mary Magdalene was wealthy enough to provide funding to procure high-grade granite and skilled craftsmanship so that buildings could be ornately carved, with shields, decorative leaves and flowers and inscriptions.
Launceston gained a lady chapel by 1312, as was popular at the time, to honour the Virgin Mary.
View photographs and documents associated with Launceston Church of St Mary Magdalene from the selection below.