Ledbury Town Council Offices
The two-storey timber-framed range now occupied by the Town Council is of two major phases. The two bays at the west end are the earliest, probably built in about 1500 whilst the east range was added about a century later. Both ranges are jettied along the south elevation and the west range jettied along the west end, now underbuilt in brick. The west range has a bressummer profile that is similar to that on the Old Grammar School, which suggests that they are of similar date although the Grammar School may be the earlier of the two. The moulding is similar to one dated to 1460-77 but since this is an example from a Sussex dais beam it should be used with caution. [Hall, L.2005. p.155] The west and south elevations have close studding. The windows are not original although the plain bracket under the sill on the south side is.
RCHM Herefordshire vol. II , East,1932, number 65.
Hall, L. 2005
NGR SO 7111 3773
Content generated during research for two paperback books 'Ledbury: A Market Town and its Tudor Heritage' (ISBN 13 : 978-1-86077-598-7) and 'Ledbury: People and Parish before the Reformation' (ISBN 13 : 978-1-86077-614-4) for the England's Past for Everyone series