Ledbury War Memorial
Ledbury War Memorial commemorates the dead of two World Wars. The memorial was constructed in two stages at the end of each war. It is in a central position in Ledbury High Street, outside St. Katherine's Hospital and opposite the Market House. It was first unveiled on Sunday 5th December 1920.
The stone used is oolitic limestone with granite plaques where the names are inscribed. There are mosaic pictures of an angel, a soldier and a seaman on the lower WWI section and a striking decorated tile picture of an airman on the WWII addition above. Of the 125 men, nine are buried in Ledbury Cemetery in New Street and one in Bosbury village cemetery. More information about the men can be found at The Men Who Served.
For more information on the protection and conservation of war memorials in the UK see the War Memorials Trust.
Content generated during research for two paperback books 'Ledbury: A Market Town and its Tudor Heritage' (ISBN 13 : 978-1-86077-598-7) and 'Ledbury: People and Parish before the Reformation' (ISBN 13 : 978-1-86077-614-4) for the England's Past for Everyone series