This farm has a farmhouse dating from the late 16th or 17th centuries. It had a traditional three room and cross-passage plan. One chimney has a bread oven, there is a stair turret, and there are the remains of original mullioned windows.
It was altered in the late 18th or early 19th century, when new windows were inserted, and later extended.
In 1851 the farm covered 268 acres and was worked by three labourers who lived in the farmhouse. The family also kept a maidservant.
Content generated during research for the paperback book 'Exmoor: The making of an English Upland' (ISBN 13 : 978-1-86077-597-0 ) for the England's Past for Everyone series