Manor of Whaley
When Domesday Book was compiled in 1086 the whole of the modern parish of Bolsover formed a single manor. Probably in King John's reign (1199-1216) two outlying portions of the manor of Bolsover, at Oxcroft in the north of the parish, and Whaley in the east, were granted out by the Crown and became separate estates, whose history can be traced in outline down to modern times.
The only other estate of any size in Bolsover in the Middle Ages was that owned by Darley abbey (near Derby), who were granted the parish church of Bolsover around the middle of the 12th century and also given various pieces of land in the parish, mostly it seems at Bolsover Woodhouse.
The manor of Oxcroft and the Oxcroft Settlement are the subject of other items on this site, as is the history of the estate in Bolsover owned by Darley abbey.