Up Nately and Andwell census 1851-1901
Up Nately was a small village lying three miles east of Basingstoke. From 1932 it has been combined into one parish with neighbouring, Mapledurwell. Andwell was an extra-parochial area which was mainly owned by Winchester College as its manor of Andwell. The manor of Andwell also possessed many properties in Up Nately. Both areas were agricultural. Andwell had a mill which served the surrounding area. Brick making developed in Up Nately at the end of this period, aided by a branch of the Basingstoke canal which transported clay and bricks.