Newlyn town had a quay since medieval times, but it appears to have collapsed. William Arundell rebuilt and extended it on new foundations in 1732 at a coast of £300. The new quay was described as a 'broad hedge' and was built of vertically set stones rather than huge boulders (the medieval method).
To prevent the quay from falling again, it was agreed that the sand could only be taken for ballast at the head of the pier. Two local fishermen came to an agreement with Arundell in 1744 to keep the new quay in repair in return for low quay dues.