Oldways End Methodist chapel
Methodist Chapel, Oldways End, Somerset 1845
The hamlet of Oldways End on the boundary of East Anstey, Devon, and Brushford, Somerset was and remains an important centre of Methodism in Southern Exmoor. It continues when Methodist chapels in many larger settlements, including Dulverton, have closed. The chapel is on the Somerset side near the former post office. It still has regular services although not the two each Sunday it boasted in the 19th century. Surprisingy given its location in a far from affluent area it was built to accommodate 80 people but with no free seats. In 1851 there were 11 children in its Sunday school. Thirteen adults attended morning service and 30 the afternoon service.