The Cattle Market in Salisbury, late nineteenth century.
Salisbury had markets on Tuesdays and Saturdays between 1361 and 1960; there was no market on the other four to encourage trade in Old Sarum and Wilton. The market belonged to the bishop who kept the tolls from it. In 1661 there were 28 stalls. The average yearly net income received by the corporation from market tolls was £23 in 1797–1800, £22 in 1801–1804, £25 in 1805–15, and £43 in 1827–33.
Salisbury was also well known for its cattle market. In the late 18th century the fortnightly cattle market was described as one of the largest in the kingdom, and was still so in 1851.