Schools in Hugglescote
Hugglescote is a village on the edge of the coalfield area of north-west Leicestershire, 12 miles north-west of Leicester. It is also close to the diorite quarries at Bardon and Markfield, and a stone-crushing plant was installed here in the 1870s to turn this hard rock into a useful material for macadamising roads. Originally a chapelry of Ibstock, Hugglescote and Donington became a civil parish in 1866, but in 1936 both villages were absorbed for administrative purposes into the civil parish and urban district of Coalville. Like many villages in this area, nonconformity was strong in the 19th century, and this ethos influenced local schools.