Schools in Lutterworth
Lutterworth is a small market town in south Leicestershire, close to the borders of Warwickshire and Northamptonshire. It had a number of educational charities, which supported two schools for boys and one for girls, and also provided apprenticeships for poor children. Under a scheme prepared by the Endowed Schools Commissioners in 1874, these charities were merged to create the Sherrier public elementary school (built in 1876) for boys, girls and infants. Lutterworth Grammar School, originally for 50 boarders and 30 day-pupils, also owes its beginnings to the original charities, and opened in 1881. Lutterworth (Secondary) Modern school opened in 1966.
Lutterworth was one of the last parishes in Leicestershire to become part of the so-called 'Leicestershire Plan', which introduced comprehensive education across the county's secondary schools in stages between 1957 and 1969 through a high-school/upper-school structure.