Schools in Newbold Verdon
Newbold Verdon is 10 miles south-west of Leicester, and 3 miles east of Market Bosworth. The parish takes its suffix from the Verdon family, who were landowners here in the thirteenth century. Another landowner who was remembered for many years was Nathaniel, Lord Crewe, Bishop of Durham, who inherited an estate in Newbold Verdon in 1681 on the death of his brother John. In his will of 1720, Lord Crewe left part of his large estate in trust for a school in this village.