Schools in Stoney Stanton
Stoney Stanton is 10 miles south-west of Leicester and 6 miles east of Hinckley. As the name suggests, the village contains quarries, and a directory of 1877 describes the parish 'famous for its basalt rocks, which afford an inexhaustable supply'. Today, we recognise the rock as a quartz-diorite, which is crushed and used in laying roads. Earlier in the 19th century, many residents were employed in framework knitting. One of the former quarries, known as Stoney Cove, is now a major inland diving centre.