Sheep Street (north): Titcombs
As so often in Burford, the house's 18th-century façade conceals an earlier building. To the rear is a cruck-framed barn dendro-dated to 1571, while an archway of c.1500 in the garden wall may be a remnant from a lost medieval house on the site. The thick glazing bars in the first-floor sash windows survive from the 18th-century remodelling, and the ground-floor sashes are of sliding or Yorkshire type, seen elsewhere in Burford. The house is documented from the 1590s, when it belonged to Richard Chadwell, gent. In the 19th and early 20th centuries it was occupied by bakers, among them George Titcomb, who is recorded here from the 1890s to 1920s. The cruck-framed barn was converted to domestic use by the architect Russell Cox in the later 20th century.
(Photo by Jean Bailey, Oxfordshire Buildings Record)
See: Listed Buildings Description; RH Gretton, The Burford Records (1920), 340, 430, 434, 447, 455