Above: Simon Wisdom's merchant's mark at 96 High Street (top left), with the date 1578
Simon Wisdom, an immigrant into Burford in the early 16th century, rose to become the town’s wealthiest and most influential man. He developed extensive business and farming interests, dominated the town's civic life for several decades, and accumulated and remodelled several town properties. His merchant's mark remains visible on a number of buildings around the town.
Read more about Wisdom and his role in Burford, read his will, or follow the links to find out more about the buildings with which he was associated.
- High Street (east): No. 1 (Wisdom Cottages)
- High Street (west): No. 96 (former Rose and Crown)
- High Street (east): No. 115 (Wysdom Hall)
- High Street (west), No. 104 (former George Inn and George Yard)
- High Street (east), No. 117 (Highway Hotel)
- High Street (east), No. 123 (House of Simon)
- High Street (west): No. 134
- Witney Street (north): Nos 3, 9 and 15, with Hunt's Yard