Sir James Thynne's Almshouses
Lying between the river Wylye and the Warminster to Shaftesbury road (A350), Sir James Thynne’s almshouses are a two-storey stone building with stone slate roof. They were founded in 1655 by a bequest of Sir James Thynne of Longleat, who left money for the support of six poor men and two poor women, along with money to buy each of them a new cloak each year. On the gable end facing the road is a wooden clock face and a louvred bellcote, both added in the 19th century. They continue to serve their original purpose, providing accomodation for six elderly people, and were most recently refurbished in 1984.