Snodland Paper Mill
Snodland papermill was in existence long before the Hook family purchased the business in 1854. Charles Townsend Hook and his father Samuel Hook immediately increased production from 5 to 70 tonnes of paper per week, of primarily straw-based printing and writing papers. By 1862 the Hooks had established a reputation for quality and reliability which continues to flourish today, and only eight years after the founding of the company it was awarded a medal for the excellence of its paper, as the Illustrated London News reported.
In 1876 the mill produced 2252 tonnes, but this had increased to over 5000 tonnes by the time the company went public in 1887.
View photographs and documents associated with Snodland papermill from the selection on the right.