St Mary's Church, Codford
There must have been a church at Codford St Mary long before the first written reference to it in 1282. Not only is the font Norman, but pieces of very early Norman sculpture were found in the walls when the church was rebuilt in 1843. Part of the chancel arch may date from around 1060, just before the Conquest.
The church also contains a tomb erected to commemorate the lord of the manor, Richard Mompesson who died in 1584
View photographs and documents associated with St Mary's Church from the selection on the right.