St Mary's Rectory
When Codford St Mary's rectory house was built in the 17th century, it was a modest house, unlikely to have been the residence of gentry rector John Mompesson (1612-45).
Probably soon after 1705, a parlour and chambers were added to the east end of Codford St Mary's rectory and the original house was raised by a whole timber-framed storey. A hipped roof was constructed over the length of the house, and probably covered from the outset not in thatch but in the clay tiles recorded in 1783.
By 1783, improvements brought a large hall, parlour, kitchen, scullery, four bedrooms and four garrets to the rectory house. Services were further improved when an unadorned two-storeyed stone block with plain mullioned windows was built on the north side.
View photographs and documents associated with St Mary’s rectory from the selection on the right.